The Fifth Edition of The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language is one of the most comprehensive and accessible resources available on any mobile device.
This latest edition has been much anticipated:
200 Usage Experts
10,000 New Words and Senses
1 Defining Achievement
Keep the hardcopy at home and take the app out with you wherever you need it.
● the entire text of this landmark new edition
● complete front matter and appendices
● real-time progressive searching
● three-way cross-referencing indexes
● wildcard pattern searches (with * ?)
● spelling suggestions
● internal hyperlinking
● zoomable graphics
● full pronunciation symbols chart
● IPA pronunciation symbol conversion
● detailed etymologies with links to root appendices
● professionally recorded sound files
● automatic search history
● two-way external application interaction
● bookmarks with editable notations
● 3D Touch support
● iPad Pro multi-screen and Drag & Drop
● iPhone X & 11 support
● DarkMode support
● make-your-own flashcards
● complete offline use - no Internet connection needed
In keeping with the American Heritage® tradition of cutting-edge research, the Fifth Edition represents the work of a dedicated team of experts, scholars, and contributors. Thousands of definitions have been revised in rapidly changing fields such as astronomy and biology, geographical entries and maps have been completely updated, and the dictionary’s signature feature notes on word history, synonymy, and language variation have been enhanced and improved.
Word meanings are made easier to understand with thousands of new quotations from classic and contemporary writers. Etymologies explaining word origins and development have been newly created or revised to reflect the very latest scholarship. Many words are traced back to their roots in prehistory through two unique appendices showing word roots in ancient Indo-European and Semitic.
Reliable, enlightening, and visually stunning, the Fifth Edition of The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language gives you the opportunity to make your mark in the best possible way.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Powered by Enfour's "UniDict® Engine 9"
● This is "free-to-download" but not a free app. It requires an InApp purchase.